Saturday, November 28, 2009

Why I choose this topic & Selection Process

Why I choose this topic

I decided to make a list of Top 15 A/PIA American writers because of my great interest to literature. Through writing, A/PIA is able to let their voices be heard by American society and promote communication and understanding between Eastern and Western culture. They provide a unique perspective to look at the American society and draw people’s attention to the complex issues that minorities have to face. Many of A/PIA writers achieve great success but are not widely known by Americans. It is time we praised their achievement and showed our respect to what they have done for A/PIA community.

I make the final list in a number of fifteen because I believe the fifteen writers I choose exert more influence to the world than other A/PIA writers. They are widely recognized by a number of awards and have great reputation in the literary area. I still need to point out that it is hard to exclude any of the A/PIA writers from the list. They are also really excellent writers and make great contribution. The reason why they are not on this list is the fact that they may not be widely known or recognized by awards and honors. Some of them, like Bruce Lee, who is a playwright but his biggest contribution is in acting and writing is only his avocation.

Selection Process

The first thing to decide is who A/PIA writers are. As A/PIA writers, they must be the descent of Asians or Pacific Islanders, either pure or half blood, but now have the nationality of America or are permanent resident in America. Writers originally from Middle East and West Asia should also be incorporated in the list since it is still a part of Asia. I define writer as people who publish any subject of work in written languages. They can be novelist, poet, playwright, etc.

Then I searched the internet to make a list of all the A/PIA writers out there. Then I looked at their biography, the awards they won, other authorities’ comments to evaluate their influence to society and their achievement in writing. I make the final list using the criteria below.

No comments:

Post a Comment